Saturday, May 17, 2008

Muddy Fun


I just got back from a 5-mile trail race that was both hard and a blast. The weather started out cool and cloudy - 55 degrees. The trail was mostly on a very hilly mowed strip in wooded prairie, with several mud holes, one real stream and a big swampy place with ankle deep water to cross. Needless to say, my shoes have never looked worse.

I'd hoped to run it in 56 minutes, but the last mile was hopeless as it was sharply uphill and into a strong west wind of at least 20 mph. But I did squeak in at about 59:59, I think.

A friend drove over with me, and we had a good time getting better acquainted and laughing about the craziness of running in mud and wind, and about how muddy we were at the end. We should've taken a camera along.

It was a beautiful day and all the honeysuckle and wild cherry blossoms smelled heavenly, and birds were singing, the sun was making the wet grass swamps sparkle. Altogether a wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments: