Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weekend was Too Short - This Report is Too Long

I didn't get as much accomplished as I'd have liked this weekend but as I look back, it wasn't too bad. On Friday night, we went to my in-laws' for supper and had a good visit. Our daughter and her husband (A&M) also came. We hadn't been together for a few weeks, and it was great to see them all. She is feeling and looking wonderful - only two more months til Baby arrives! The meal was great: bbq'd country ribs, scalloped potatoes, corn, creamed peas, salad, and strawberries on angel food cake.

Saturday we woke up to snow as predicted, but the amount was a surprise. It was only a dusting whereas the weather forecast had been for a few inches. I woke up in the night and heard it raining, and had to get up and look outside to make sure I was hearing right.

The snow didn't keep us inside, but it was awfully windy and cold. I had planned to work on sewing all day, and did get borders sewn on and binding cut, and backing pieced. I laid it all out in layers and pinned. But then I had to do LOTS of unsewing because the batting was icky. I had chosen a fleece batting, but it was heavy and the backing sort of stuck to it and puckered and stretched seemingly when I did the quilting. So I spent about 3 hrs picking out an hour worth of stitches, used another batting (low-loft), pinned it again and started quilting again.

That wasn't super successful, and I was disappointed that it wasn't turning out as nicely as the "practice" quilt I made for drh the past few weeks. Anyway, when I decided to just quilt one block at a time and not sew down the whole line from top to bottom at once, I had much better results.

I tried some stipple pattern quilting yesterday and wasn't pleased with that either. It may just take more practice. But I had practiced the spirals, so I went with that again. Well, it doesn't have to be different - I guess if I've found something that works and I like the results, I should just stick with that for now.

Saturday night I made chicken tetrazzini with some cooked chicken from the freezer, fresh mushrooms, green onions, milk, flour, seasonings, white wine, linguine noodles. It was pretty yummy and there was enough left to fill a casserole for today's church potluck.

Today we got lots of church volunteering done on one day. This whole month we've been coffee hour hosts, and drh has run the sound system. Today he also sang in choir, and we were "coordinators" for the noon potluck. That was just a matter of setting up two tables for food and getting out plates and silverware, and mixing up more lemonade. I let drh handle all that, as I also led my Sunday school class! Whew. I was supposed to go buy some supplies for the pancake supper for the Fat Tuesday meal, but another lady said she had to go to town anyway.

I worked on the quilt this afternoon, read the paper, took a nap, and ran 4 miles. Finally the wind died down a bit and the sun was shining. For supper we just had snacks since we had a big meal at noon. Spent the evening reading cooking magazines, looking at quilting blogs on the internet and doing laundry.

This will be a busy week - election day on Tuesday, beginning running group starts on Wednesday, going out to eat with friends on Friday, work on Saturday a.m. and relatives coming at noon, baby shower on Sunday. Whew - when will I get the quilt done? I better go work on it a few more minutes before bed. But more importantly, when will I get the bed changed, the bathroom cleaned and shopping done for company dinner? I think I might make turkey/tomato/black olive/provolone sandwiches - bread brushed with olive oil and oregano first, then wrapped in foil and oven-heated. With that, a romaine salad with cannelini beans and homemade herb/oil/vinegar dressing. Must think of what wine to choose...

Oh, I also want to have a bird week here - I need practice with my camera so come back - I don't know when it will be - maybe next week.

The weather this week doesn't look much better than we've been having. I am ready for spring...

No comments: