Monday, May 30, 2011

Finished Quilting a Fun Quilt







This quilt started out as an idea to simply use up some of my fabric abundance (overstock). I pulled out several fat quarters that coordinated in color, and started cutting them. My inspiration was the book Rule-Breaking Quilts by Kathryn Schmidt. I was making blocks and they turned out to be odd sizes - 9x8.5, 10.5x9, 8.5 in. square, etc. None were really uniform.


Then L saw my beginnings and claimed the quilt. She pulled out more fabrics, I made some wonky 9-patches to add more variety, and used various strips and scraps to make some of the little checkerboard areas. Then I put all the separate blocks and pieces away until she came to visit again - I just didn't know what to do with them.



She stepped up to the challenge to arrange them, and used some of the bigger leftover pieces to fill in between blocks. I sewed them all together into the center of the top while she was still here to correct any mistakes.



Then I made the spiky border following Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking II. I used up all the rest of the scraps to make some blocks and pieced the back. When I quilted it, my goal was to use different quilting designs in different areas and blocks. Maybe this can be seen in the picture of the back.


This was a really fun project to use up all the scraps and I would like to do this type of quilt again, with L's help, of course!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

You did a wonderful job and your scraps go together beautifully. I really love the pieced border and the pieced back. Remember, wonkiness knows no bounds...keep up the good work!

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

great job. I love the colours and squares for this quilt. I especially like wonky squares. Someday I hope to make one.

Sara said...

Gorgeous work! I think it looks great!