Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Sewing Machine

From SewMamaSew's sewing machine meme:


What brand and model do you have?
Kenmore 385.

How long have you had it?
About 15 years, maybe 20? I should look it up.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
I paid about $150, I believe.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
Now I mostly sew quilts, but I have sewn clothing; stuffed dolls and toys; curtains and other home dec items; doll clothes, bridesmaid dresses, custom sewing and alterations for others as a business; tote- and dufflebags; and wedding dresses for my two daughters. I will probably start making clothes for my little granddaughter soon.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I used to sew a few hours every day while my girls were babies through high school, but now I sew just a couple of hours a week.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I love my machine. I love the way it sounds as it sews. I don't have a name for it.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
Drop-in bobbin, buttonhole template attachment (though the newer versions are easier than mine), durable motor which handles the things I sew, good tension settings.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
Nothing drives me nuts.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
No great stories - it has done some traveling to many 4-H workshops and both my girls and a few of their friends learned to sew on it.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
I would recommend this type of machine because it's sturdy but simple enough to not intimidate, and has lasted well through lots of projects over the years. I am not sure the company still makes sewing machines.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
What it will be used for; match up the skills of the sewer with the complexity of the machine; cost; quality of results possible with the machine; brand reputation; service availability through dealer or manufacturer.

Do you have a dream machine?
No, I am happy with the machine I have now.

No comments: